Tuesday, May 21, 2013

IMTX: Mount UP


"Sometimes all that stands between you and the ride of a lifetime is simply getting in the saddle and seeing what you are made of" - some texan

I am happy to report that I can cross another Ironman off the listthat was probably the most challenging races that I have ever done which makes stepping over the line that much more meaningful. There is a lot that goes on during a 10 hour and 18 minute race but I will do my best to highlight my day:
Pre-Race...up at 3:45 to eat some oatmeal and coffee...and then off to the races we go. I was pretty calm and trying to avoid all the nervous energy of everything around me. I knew that I did the best I could to prepare...and now was just the time to enjoy it. After a few deep breaths and hugs from my onsite support crew, I headed into the water ready to start the day.

SWIM: The cannon always goes off at 7:00 a.m. and once you hear the blast, it is a human blender of 2,400 people all heading the same direction. It can be pretty crazy in the waterI managed to get a few kicks to the face; elbows to the head and constant water in my mouth. Believe it or not, it was actually pretty enjoyable navigating and embracing all that is the mass start. I think if one can just stay relaxed- the swim is actually a pretty fun adventure. It was a non-wetsuit swim (the water was too warm) and once I made it through the first half mile or sothings did calm down and I was able to have some space to just swim and get through it.

BIKE: 112 miles of Texas country side on two wheels. The one-loop course was actually very beautifulan added perk when riding solo for 5+ hours. I had a pretty good ride for the first half or so The wind had not really picked up yet and since it was still pretty early in the day, the temps stayed pretty reasonable. The last half of the ride was a little more challenging. I was greeted with a headwind and rising temps as I made my way through the last 60 miles of the course. I just kept reminding myself to make sure I am hydrating and fueling right, not fighting the wind, and ignore anyone who passes mebecause like with any triathlon, the run was coming up next and I needed to save some gas in the tank. The back end of the bike course was just hard. The heat and wind are a tough combo - at times I just told myself to simply spin it out and just keep pedalin. I seriously broke the end of my ride down by 15 minute intervals. My watch always sounds an alarm at the 15 minute mark to remind me to evaluate my caloric intake, how I am feeling, etcEven a 112 mile bike ride is sometimes conquered a minute at a time.

RUN: The run was set up as a 3-loop course which is actually helpful in that its easy to mentally break down. My approach was to just jog the first loop and stay comfortable given the temperature and effort already pushed on the bike. By this time, it was really getting warm out. I learned after the race that the actual temp. was about 93- but with the humidity, etcthe heat index was about 98-103. Ouch! I dont honestly remember much of the run but I remember just thinking over and over to just keep moving forward and dont stop. I would use each mile aid station to dump water / ice on my head, drink as much as I could, and just try to revive myself enough to make it another mile. All I really wanted to do was jump in this lake that we ran by and drink an ice cold Diet Mountain Dew. By the second and third loop, there were more people walking than running the heat was taking its toll and many participants were just doing what they could to move forward. I learned that I was in first place for the final lapso my focus stayed on just running and moving forward. Each time I tried to push a little harder, my body would tell me to just back off - and I listened. I simply just tried to do the best that I could in any given mile and it seemed to be working. I think sometimes its more challenging to ignore everything else that is going on around and just focus on MY race - it was me against me.

I crossed the finish line in 10:18 good enough for first place in my age; first overall amateur female; and in the top ten overall. As you know, I am not driven by outcome but at the same time was definitely happy to earn a podium slot for the race...but was just as proud to continue to push even though all I wanted to do was stop. It was an epic day for surethere were so many people out there doing whatever they could do to simply continue to move forward and eventually cross that infamous Ironman finish line.

When I see people push through whatever it is to achieve their best that day...to me, that is inspiration. I don't care if its a Ironman or finally getting out the door to walk a block...all great things begin with the decision to try. Don't let your worst enemy be the one between your own ears.

Success for me isnt something that I chase; rather the pure effort is something that I consistently bring forward... and with that effort, success sometimes just happens. I am truly blessed with just the opportunity to train, race, be active and just LIVE out loud and hopefully use my adventures to help others along the way...that is more rewarding for me than any trophy.

I am now in recovery mode this week- I have blisters on my feet and legs that are not too happy right now..pain today and pride tomorrow right?

Thank YOU for being along for the ride!

 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Glad to see you post, and what a great race! yay yay!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice race, and i second Damile's comment. You are a smart racer to keep within yourself, even minute to minute. Hope your recovery week is enjoyable ( weeks? ::) LOL!)

    ReplyDelete