Thursday, August 30, 2012

the approach


Next weekend I will have the opportunity to be at the start line of my second Ironman of 2012…Life is full of events that require preparation, work, and most importantly, a positive approach.

For me, the approach to my race, can really be mirrored by my approach to life. For what it worth, many times I embark upon life’s adventures in the hopes of using what I learn to help inspire others – or at least provide a new perspective for myself.  Ironman is no different.  That being said, as I look forward to next weekend- I thought I would share the approach that I choose to take with me to the start line of an event that I have logged many hours on the computrainer, miles on the road, laps in the pool, reps in the weight room, sweat, blood, and sometimes tears in hopes of crossing the finish line to the best of my ability. 

- It’s about the process- not the result.  So many times we put such a powerful emphasis on the result and we forget about the journey to get there.  Through my training, my head has been able to take my body to places that I thought were not possible…I have learned to be comfortable with being uncomfortable because that is the point in which strength grows- both mentally and physically.

- Sometimes you have to GIVE in order to GET.  Goals that you set are completely within reach if you are willing to give a little to get what you want.  I have had to sacrifice in order to get to that start line – but crossing the finish line makes it all worth it.  The simple truth is that if you really want something bad enough- you will find a way.


- Perspective.  It can be so easy to get caught up in the anxiety that usually accompanies any big race…but in the end, its just a race.  There have many before and will be many in the future. Much like life, I am simply so grateful for the opportunity to participate and push myself forward to be the best I can be.  If that means crossing the line in first place, or carrying a glow stick and finishing at the 17 hour cut-off…in the end, we are not defined by what place we come in, but rather by the drive, determination and pure heart put into the effort.

- Attitude is really the only thing I have control over.  There is a lot that can happen during the 140.6 miles that is uncontrollable.  I can get smacked around in the water (its happened every race), have mechanical issues on the bike (been there), feel suboptimal on the run (done that) or any other factors that can easily come into play without any warning. The only thing that I can control is my response to any challenge that presents itself.  I enter each race the best prepared that I can be – but also respect the fact that the race (or life) does not always go according to plan…when the unexpected bumps show up – just do what needs to be done to get over them. Stay positive for the “workout” that goes on between our ears can take us farther that we ever thought.

- Let loose and enjoy the day.  As crazy as this sounds…I do this because I enjoy it.  The day goes so fast and is really a celebration of all the hard work that I put into the process of getting to the start line.  God has blessed me with the opportunity to do what I love and I owe it to Him to do the best I can.  My ultimate goal in racing is to do the best I can do for me.


At the end, my approach to any race or life is actually quite simple:

Expect the unexpected
Be comfortable with being uncomfortable
Be smart but don’t over think every twist and turn- just lean into it.
Get excited but keep the mind calm.
Keep fighting even if the battle seems lost...losing is never an option to someone who does not give up.
Be fearless. Be bold. Be thankful.


I have enjoyed the approach- look forward to my dance on the runway…and anticipate the take off to new dreams once this Ironman is in the books.

No need to wish me good luck on race day- instead, I encourage YOU to dream big and approach any new adventure with the determination that it will be impossible to fail.  Believe when others doubt, persist when everyone else quits, work when others are busy wishing, and never look back.





"As you journey through life, choose your destination wisely, but don't hurry there.  You will arrive soon enough.  Wander the back roads, the forgotten paths, the unknown ways, as you keep your dreams in your heat as the light that guides you.  Seek out new voices, strange sights, and bold ideas.  Such things are riches for the soul.  And if, upon your arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly what you dreamed it would be, don't be disappointed.  Think of all you would have missed if not for the journey there, and know that the true worth of your travels lies not just in where you've come to be, but in who you became along the way".  Linda Staten




No comments:

Post a Comment